BRENT’S ELECTION PLATORM
COQUITLAM CITY COUNCIL 2018
VALUE FOR OUR TAX DOLLAR
- Uphold the continued need for responsible financial management and fiscal accountability
- Work towards well-managed city facilities to respond to the growing and changing needs of our residents
- Continue to streamline the delivery of city services by reducing red tape
AFFORDABLE HOUSING STRATEGY
- Support a strategy that creates both market and below market rental units
- Work with Habitat for Humanity’s mandate of affordable home ownership units
- Continue to identify housing choices that permit a range of attached and detached housing types including new smaller scale ground-oriented options
TRANSPORTATION THAT WORKS
- Improve road and cycling options with a pedestrian-friendly focus
- Manage transportation initiatives to address traffc congestion
- Link our neighbourhoods with increased transit options and service improvements
- Brent was first elected to Coquitlam City Council in 2005
- Brent is the Past President of the North East Coquitlam Rate Payers Association
- Brent has volunteered on many City Committees including the Transit and Transportation, Environment, Administrative Services, Business and Economic Development, Coquitlam Strategic Plan, Master Park Plan Committee, North East Coquitlam Official Community Plan, the Upper Hyde Creek Neighbourhood Plan, the Lower Hyde Creek Neighbourhood Plan and the Smiling Creek Neighbourhood Plan.
- Formerly, Brent was the Chair of the Economic Development Advisory Committee, Vice Chair of the Liveable Communities Advisory Committee, Vice Chair of the Disability Issues Advisory Committee, Alternate Director to the GVRD Board of Directors, Director on the Lower Mainland Treaty Advisory Committee, Alternate Director to the Labour Relations Bureau, member of the GVRD Environment Committee, member of the Recreation, Sports and Culture Standing Committee, member of Spirit of BC Community Committee, Vice Chair of the Multiculturalism Advisory Committee, Vice Chair of the Sport Council, and Vice Chair of the Sustainability & Environmental Advisory Committee
- Creating a Corporate Climate Action Plan to reduce corporate emissions
- Working with YWCA & Talitha Society transitional housing for women and children
- Parks, Recreation and Culture Master Plan implementation
- Supported the completion of the Evergreen Skytrain Line
- Helped establish new parks at Rochester, Victoria, Leigh and Millard Orchard
- Completion of the Town Centre Performance Plaza
- Implementing homeless shelters and transitional housing units
- Worked towards expanding the Coquitlam Crunch
Brent is dedicated and passionate about the issues in Coquitlam and how they impact residents. He is a strong supporter of social service organizations.
Councillor Asmundson is focused and always has a heart to improve on the Multi-cultural aspects of Coquitlam. I enjoy every conversation with him and admire his dedication to the community.
As a City councillor, Brent brings a balanced point of view to the job and possesses a wealth of experience and a common sense approach to everyday issues.
I am very appreciative of the work that Brent does for our city and his support of youth sport and the Coquitlam Adanacs.
Knowing Brent, I have been impressed by his diligence, commitment, logic on the job, and his decision making regarding everything from our local economy to the environment.
EXPERIENCE, INVOLVED, AND COMMITTED
Brent has been an active Coquitlam resident for more than 20 years. He and his wife, Daniela, have raised their two children; Michael and Diana in Coquitlam. Brent has participated in many family friendly activities which define the city. He has been employed as a bus driver with Coast Mountain Bus Company for the last 33 years.
COMMITTED TO SERVE OUR COMMUNITY
As a long-time resident of Coquitlam, married with two grown children, bus driver for 32 years in our community, I have been honoured to serve the residents of Coquitlam on Council for the last 13 years.
When re-elected, I will continue to work hard to advocate for affordable housing options and as well as sound environmental and development practices. I will also work to ensure that the city is business friendly, financially responsible and provides improved roads and transit options, while keeping our neighbourhoods safe.
We all have a voice in local government. I am committed to making sure that your voices are heard. I am grateful to the community representatives and the advocates who have worked with me to make Coquitlam a great place to Live, Work and Play.